Our aim is to give you a broad and balanced education in science which will help you to:
• Understand the importance of science in everyday life.
• Learn about the fascinating and curious world in which we live.
• Develop investigative skills.
• Be prepared to make informed decisions about scientific issues that will influence your life now and in the future.
Activities will be practically based and will provide you with the opportunity to plan and carry out investigations, complete problem solving tasks, and to discuss and write about your findings.
You will also have the opportunity to make sense of scientific information presented in a variety of interesting ways.
1. The Triple Science course (GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics) is offered to students as an option choice. Students in the blue Aristotle and yellow Becquerel pathways can opt for all 3 subjects which will maximise their opportunities to progress their learning into AS/A level. Students will need to achieve a 6/7 grade or better if they desire to continue their Science into AS/A level.
2. Combined Science:Trilogy is offered to all students who have not chosen Triple Science as an option. The course focuses on scientific explanations and models, and gives students an insight into how scientists develop scientific understanding of ourselves and the world we inhabit.
Both Triple Science (GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics and Combined Science: Trilogy are assessed using an external terminal exam at the end of year 11 which will represent 100% of the final grade. There is no coursework aspect of the course.
Both courses will include exam questions which are a mixture of multiple choice, structured, closed short answer, and open response questions.
There are a variety of activities running after school for any student wishing to take part. These include: